There are many ways that you can affect change in your world. Remember that you hold great power with your ability to vote with your dollars and this will go a long way toward making you a leader in affecting change. Here are a few suggestions:
- every time you buy a magazine with unrealistic beauty ideals you are giving the editor your THANKS – be careful who you support!
- Get Fierce! Boycott stores and products that sexualize girls and teens!
- write letters to editors of magazines.
- write to tv networks, show creators – they listen to feedback.
- Do a Media-Detox. Turn off the tv/media for a few days or a week if you can.
- encourage your friends to see through the illusion. Ask your teacher to host a screening of Cover Girl Culture.
- go without make-up!
- Take back your power: YOU decide your happiness not a number on a scale or your wardrobe!
- build your self-esteem so media won’t be able to prey on you. Self esteem is like a muscle; you have to flex it to strengthen it.
- parents – you are your child’s role model. Be mindful what you say about your body and how you speak about others. Your child learns what is valuable in a person from you.
Complaining about the problem is no longer enough — we have to stand-up and take action now!
Current petition online: VS is marketing lacey thongs to teens and girls. Stop them.